How to prepare for an assessment
For child assessments
- The child must have had a sight test within the last six months and it is helpful if the child has had recent hearing check.
- It is important for children to know that they are going to see someone who is interested in how people learn. The assessment will help to work out why some learning is difficult and what might help to make things easier.
- Children can take examples of school work and reports with them to the assessment.
- It is important that assessors have information about any previous assessments and/or study support. This will help them to avoid repetition of tests, which may make results invalid.
- Parents/carers may like to take something to keep themselves occupied as the assessment could be up to about 3 hours.
All BDA assessors are fully checked, qualified and have DBS clearance. You may wish to stay with the young person whilst they are being assessed but this is at the discretion of the assessor as sometimes parents/carers are a distraction for the young person and it can influence their behaviour or performance.
- Adults should have had a sight test within that last two years, and an up-to-date hearing check is helpful.
- Ensure that you know where the assessment is taking place, and try to arrive on time as the assessor may have other assessments booked that day.
- Assessments take place in a private room at the location where the assessment has been booked (e.g. your home, at the assessors’ office, workplace etc). It needs to be somewhere free from distractions and with a table/writing surface.
- Given the length of the assessment it may be helpful to bring snacks and a drink.
Start an application
Which service are you booking for?
Step 1 - Download and complete an enquiry form
Step 2 - Send your enquiry form to us
Completed enquiry forms should be sent to:
Step 1 - Download and complete a booking pack
Step 2 - Send your booking pack to us
Completed booking packs should be sent to:
Step 3 - Payment
Please add your payment detailsAdd payment details
Specialist Teacher - £540.00
Psychologist - £720.00