Skip to main content

Is my student dyslexic?

How is dyslexia identified?

Although you may spot signs of dyslexia in your learner, dyslexia can only be formally identified through a Diagnostic Assessment carried out by a certified person such as: a psychologist specialising in Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) registered with the Health Care Practitioners Council (HCPC), or a specialist teacher/assessor with an Assessment Practising Certificate (APC).

Through consultation with your learner and/or their parents and the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) these assessments can either be requested by the school/college or through your LEA, or paid for privately.

A formal assessment will be able to diagnose your learner, and also outline their areas of strength and weakness. Assessments can take time so it's important to put additional support in place as soon as a need is identified, rather than waiting for a formal diagnosis.

Checklists and/or screening tests can help to give an indication of possible dyslexic difficulties; some are delivered by computer and others can be carried out by a teacher. Although they don't provide a formal diagnosis they can help to outline your learner's strengths and weaknesses, and can help to inform a supportive teaching strategy.

Find out more about checklists and Diagnostic Assessments.