Skip to main content

How can I support my child?

Finding a tutor

A specialist tutor, qualified to teach children or students with dyslexia and other SpLD, can be a great support to your child's education.

A tutor is able to give individual attention and can set the pace of learning to suit your child. They can focus on the subjects that your child finds particularly difficult and will be able to identify your child's learning style, and therefore work to their strengths. Working with a tutor can also help to build a child's self-confidence.

A specialist tutor should:

  • Have a recognised qualification to show that they have the knowledge and skills to support dyslexia learners. Holders of the BDA accredited awards Approved Teacher Status (ATS) and Associate Member of the BDA (AMBDA) are suitably qualified.
  • Hold a professional membership of a recognised organisation such as the BDA.
  • Have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check and insurance.
  • Be able to take on board recommendations from a qualified professional assessor.
  • Be able to use multi-sensory methods to teach reading and spelling or teach study skills if your child is working towards GCSEs, A levels or a university degree.

They may:

  • Be able to support your child to develop their use of assistive technology.
  • Be prepared to liaise with your child's school.

You should ask:

  • Whether the lessons will be individual or as part of a group, how long they will be and how much they will cost. You should establish whether there is a cancellation fee or additional charges for books etc.
  • Whether you can observe lessons and how you will be informed of your child's progress.

Visit the BDA's Tutor List to search for a tutor near you. All of the tutors listed will be Professional Members or Associate Members of the BDA.