Terms and Conditions for Membership
Thank you for becoming a member of the British Dyslexia Association. Your support through membership helps our work to create a world where people with dyslexia can flourish.
Please take the time to read these terms and conditions of membership, which outline your rights and obligations as a member of the BDA (a "Member" or "you" in what follows).
British Dyslexia Association (BDA) is a registered charity in England and Wales (289243) of 1, Friar Street, Reading, England, RG1 1DA and will be referred to as "BDA" or "we" in these terms and conditions.
A Your details and membership
- By becoming a member of the BDA you agree that the personal details you provide may be used for administrative purposes and to fulfil your BDA membership, which includes regular e-newsletters and our Contact magazine.
- If you become a member online through our website, you will have access to an online account, details of your log in must not be shared with anyone else.
- You are responsible for informing us of changes to your personal details. You can either do this through your online account, or by contacting us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BDA may send you invitations to take part in surveys or focus groups.
- BDA may send you information about other products and services that we feel may be of interest; if you have provided consent to hear from us in this way.
- You can opt out of marketing and/or membership communications or change your preferences at any time by emailing email@example.com and informing us.
- If your membership lapses, we will contact you for a short period of time to ask if you would like to re-join or if you would like to continue hearing about our work.
B Cancellation and Payment
- Any request to cancel your membership must be made within seven working days of your membership application. Cancellation request should be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Members are invited to pay annually or monthly.
- For members paying annually your membership shall commence from the day that payment is received and will expire 12 months on from that date.
- For members paying monthly, your membership shall expire if payment is not received on or around your expected payment date.
- BDA reserve the right to refuse, cancel or withhold membership at our absolute discretion.
- Members must be a minimum of 16 years old on date of membership application.
- If membership is paid by Direct Debit or Standing Order your membership payment will continue to be collected (monthly or annually) until you notify us you wish to cancel.
- If you pay your membership by credit/debit card, cash or cheque, we will contact you to renew your membership, if no further payment is received by you, we will discontinue your membership.
C Membership rights and benefits
- As a member of the BDA you are entitled to:
- Receive BDA Contact magazine(s)
- Receive BDA E-newsletters
- Discount on a BDA conference
- Discount on a BDA E-Learning Training Event
- BDA Voting rights
- Invitation to the BDA AGM
- Representation on BDA Management Board
However, BDA reserves the right to vary, amend or withdraw these rights and benefits at our discretion.
- Each member is entitled to one vote at the AGM.
- Unless stated otherwise, or without prior consent, all BDA materials and publications received by members must not be reproduced transmitted, distributed, or sold.
- Rights and benefits received from membership are personal and can’t be transferred to anyone else.
The charity is a company limited by guarantee. In the event of the charity being wound up and the charity’s liabilities exceeding its assets, the amount that each member may need to contribute as a guarantee is limited to £5.