Skip to main content


Writing to your MP

Whilst the BDA regularly updates MPs, it is important that they also hear from you about how issues relating to dyslexia affect you. You are their constituents and your voice has an impact.

Who is my MP?

If you do not know who your local MP is, or would like to check, you can do so on the They Work for You website at It is important that you send your letter to the right MP as they are only able to respond to their own constituents.

Where to send your letter

If you have the time, writing to your MP will have the most impact. Send your letter to:

[MP’s name] (e.g. ‘John Smith MP’)
House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA

If you would prefer to email your MP, you can find their email address on the UK Parliament website here:
MPs and Lords - UK Parliament

Please copy your correspondence to the BDA to keep us up to date with issues people are facing, notify your MP of this by adding “CC: British Dyslexia Association” at the end of the email. Please note we cannot reply to all correspondence. Either email or send a letter to:

Policy Team
British Dyslexia Association
Office 205, Access Business Centre
Willoughby Road,
RG12 8FB

Writing to your MP

At the top of your letter make sure you write your address, so that your MP can send you a response.

Don’t use a template to write your letter. A personal and original letter written about an issue that has affected you will be far more influential.

At the start of your letter, introduce yourself and make it clear what the issue is that you wish to raise with them. Keep your letter personal; stick to the point and explain why this issue is important to you. Also give examples of how you have been affected by it and be clear about what it is you would like them to do. This way you can bring to their attention the problems you have faced and can encourage them to take action.

Issues you may want to contact your MP about

  • Diagnostic dyslexia assessments
  • Your child’s education
  • Specialist SEN support and provision in schools
  • Teacher training
  • Dyslexia in the workplace
  • As an employer, supporting employees with dyslexia
  • Pastoral, academic and mental health provision

Mention the BDA

The BDA lobbies for better support for people with dyslexia. If you would like to include a reminder to your MP of our current focus, please include the below information.

I am a supporter of the British Dyslexia Association’s current campaigns and would urge you to support them. They are:

  • Specialist dyslexia teacher in every school: With ten to 15 percent of people dyslexia, having a specialist teacher in every school able to diagnose, tailor support and train classroom teachers will mean vastly improved outcomes and standards.
  • Removal of SPaG marks: Currently, many exams, like history, RE, geography and English literature, include marks for spelling, punctuation and grammar, even though these skills are already measure in English language exams. It is unfair to deduct marks for a skill already tested elsewhere, especially when it inhibits young dyslexics demonstrating their full aptitude for the subject.
  • Exams reflective of the modern work environment: No workplace expects their employees to write without a laptop or smart device with spelling, punctuation and grammar software, so why do we ask young people to communicate their potential value to an employer through unaided handwritten exams? All pupils should be able to do their exams digitally with the spelling, punctuation and grammar aids that would be available when they get to the workplace.

Find out more about the BDA’s work at or contacting

Meeting with your MP

All MPs hold sessions for constituents to meet with them one-to-one to discuss issues, these are called surgeries. If you would like to discuss the issues you are facing in detail with them then in your correspondence request a meeting with them at their next available surgery.

An MP may say this is not possible as they have to prioritise slots available or may refer you to a local councillor if they feel is more applicable for you to meet with them.

If you do not receive a response

At the end of your correspondence, ask your MP to send you a response. Sometimes it can take a few weeks to get a response from your MP, but if you do not receive a response, follow up with an email or a telephone call to them. These details can be found on the UK Parliament website at