Skip to main content

How to become a specialist teacher

Specialist teachers are qualified to conduct informal, curriculum-based assessments and deliver specialist teaching programmes to learners with dyslexia up to and including 18 years of age.

To become a specialist teacher, you need to successfully complete a Level 5 or Level 7 Accredited Teacher/Practitioner Status (AT/PS) accredited course or equivalent.

Once you have completed this training, you can apply for Accredited Teacher/Practitioner Status (AT/PS) with the BDA. For more information see ATS and APS pages.

See the specialist teacher pathway (pdf)