Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
All holders of BDA memberships and accreditations are responsible for keeping up to date with the knowledge, skills and professional competence required of them in their specialist teaching and assessing roles. They must maintain and develop their current knowledge, skills, understanding and attitudes through formal and informal Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and submit a CPD Log to the BDA on a 3-yearly basis. Copies of attendance certificates must be submitted for formal CPD.
Approved Teacher/Practitioner Status (ATS/APS); Approved Teacher/Practitioner Dyscalculia (ATD/APD) and Approved Tutor Status (ATS FE/HE)
A minimum of 15 hours of CPD over the previous three years which consists of a minimum of 10 hours formal CPD (e.g. attendance at conferences, training events) and 5 hours informal (e.g. personal study, delivering training to colleagues). Copies of attendance certificates must be submitted for the 10 hours formal CPD. Plus 15 hours direct specialist teaching each year.
This evidence should be submitted on a CPD log the fee is £75 and payment options are on the CPD log
Associate Membership of the British Dyslexia Association (AMBDA) and AMBDA FE/HE
A minimum of 20 hours CPD over the three years, including a 5 hour SASC approved course covering the principles of psychometrics, statistics and underlying theory or SpLD testing methods, interpretation and test materials. The remaining CPD can cover changes in regulations and legislation relating to SpLDs, developments in SpLD research and approaches to teaching and support for SpLD. Plus 15 hours direct specialist teaching each year.
CPD should be a combination of formal CPD, and informal training,. SASC approved mentoring can form part of your CPD. Copies of attendance certificates must be submitted for formal CPD.
This evidence should be submitted on a CPD log the fee is now included in the AMBDA annual membership fee
What is Formal CPD?
Formal CPD covers conferences, training courses and webinars provided by any of the following:
- British Dyslexia Association (BDA)
- University Courses and conferences
- Association of Educational Psychologists
- British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Dyslexia Action/Real Training
- Helen Arkell Dyslexia Centre
- Local Authority courses and conferences
- College of Occupational Therapists
- Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
What is Informal CPD?
Informal CPD is covered by research or reading specialist SEN and SpLD material and resources, e.g:
- Critical reflection and review of your teaching practice, or that of your peers
- Observation, personal study, mentoring or coaching
- Reading and review of relevant professional journals and recent research
- Presentations that you have given to colleagues or in workshops or conferences.
Sending your portfolio to the BDA
Send your CPD Log and copies of attendance certificates to Accreditation, BDA, 6a Bracknell Beeches, Bracknell RG12 7BW.; firstname.lastname@example.org