Skip to main content

In education

Finding a tutor

A specialist tutor, qualified to teach students with dyslexia and other SpLD, can be a great support.

A tutor is able to give individual attention and can set the pace of learning to suit you. They can focus on the subjects that you find particularly difficult and will be able to identify learning styles, and therefore work to your strengths.

Look for a tutor on the BDA's free online Tutor List.

When looking for a specialist tutor consider the following:

  • A specialist tutor should have a recognised qualification to show that they have the knowledge and skills to support dyslexia learners.
  • Holders of Professional Membership or Associate Membership of the BDA are suitably qualified. They may be qualified to teach primary, secondary or FE/HE students.
  • They will be able to take on board recommendations outlined in a diagnostic assessment report.
  • A tutor with Associate Membership of the BDA (AMBDA) or an Assessment Practising Certificate (APC) will be able to conduct a Diagnostic Assessment to assess for dyslexia. They can make also recommendations for Exam Access Arrangements.
  • Disabled Students' Allowances can be used to pay for a specialist tutor as long as the tutor is registered with the Disabled Students' Allowances Quality Assurance Group (DSA-QAG).