Part of an Accredited Course
Practical Solutions + Writing
London, Manchester and Birmingham. Also available as eLearning.
Who is it suitable for?
Senior managers, teachers, TAs / LSAs in primary, secondary, and post 16 education who teach or support individuals with literacy may benefit from this training.
It may be of particular interest to those who work with younger learners or a broad age range.
Note: for those who are supporting only older higher level or older learners (secondary or 16+), the eLearning module Practical Solutions for Higher Level Literacy Skills may be more appropriate.
Learning Aims for the in-person training session:
- To raise awareness of the skills used by a skilled writer
- To raise awareness of the difficulties that may be encountered by a dyslexic learner
- To consider ways to support handwriting difficulties
- To consider the importance of vocabulary and oral language skills
- To explore a range of ways to generate ideas as a pre-writing activity
- To consider the importance of planning as a crucial first step in essay writing
- To consider what is involved in effectively structuring a piece of writing
- To explore the role of multiple drafts and formative feedback in developing metacognitive skills
- To explore the difficulties encountered by dyslexic learners in tackling exams and ways to support them
- To encourage delegates to take away three key ideas that they will implement in their own setting
Programme Outline for the in-person training session:
- What skills do we use when we write?
- What problems might affect the dyslexic writer?
- Improving handwriting
- The role of language skills and knowledge of vocabulary
- Ways to generate ideas
- Planning a piece of writing
- Structuring a piece of writing
- Writing as process
- Dealing with exams
- Next steps
Apply for this course
Tuesday 26th November 2019
Tuesday 11th February 2020
Wednesday 25th March 2020
Thursday 18th June 2020
Tuesday 10th March 2020
Thursday 30th April 2020
Bespoke onsite training
This course can be delivered at your location often at a significantly reduced cost per person compared to our scheduled open courses.Register your interest