Part of an Accredited Course
Practical Solutions + Spelling
London, Manchester and Birmingham. Also available as eLearning.
Who is it suitable for?
Senior managers, teachers, TAs / LSAs in primary, secondary, and post 16 education who teach or support individuals with literacy may benefit from this training.
It may be of particular interest to those who work with younger learners or a broad age range.
Note: for those who are supporting only older higher level or older learners (secondary or 16+), the eLearning module Practical Solutions for Higher Level Literacy Skills may be more appropriate.
Learning Aims for the in-person training session:
- To explore and increase understanding of the skills and knowledge we use when spelling
- To increase understanding of why dyslexic learners have problems with spelling
- To increase understanding of the role played by phonological and articulatory awareness in learning phonics
- To develop awareness of the importance of multi-sensory methods in teaching spelling
- To consider the skills required for segmenting
- To revise common spelling rules
- To raise awareness difficulties associated with teaching irregular spellings and techniques to support dyslexic learners
- To consider the importance of syllabification
- To explore the importance of understanding morphology and affixation
- To explore the role of teaching word derivation
- To consider the difficulties involved in transferring knowledge of spelling to longer pieces of writing
- To encourage delegates to take away three key ideas that they will implement in their own setting
Programme Outline for the in-person training session:
- What skills and knowledge are involved in spelling?
- What difficulties are likely to be faced by dyslexic learners?
- The role of phonological awareness
- The role of articulatory awareness
- Phonics and spelling
- Segmenting skills
- Word building skills
- Spelling rules
- Common irregulars and strategies for teaching
- Syllabification: understanding and supporting problems faced by dyslexic learners
- The role of morphology in supporting spelling
- Using word derivations to support spelling
- Spelling in longer pieces of writing
- Next steps
Apply for this course
Wednesday 5th February 2020
Tuesday 17th March 2020
Friday 5th June 2020
Wednesday 12th February 2020
Wednesday 18th March 2020
Bespoke onsite training
This course can be delivered at your location often at a significantly reduced cost per person compared to our scheduled open courses.Register your interest