Part of an Accredited Course
Practical Solutions + Reading
London, Manchester and Birmingham. Also available as eLearning.
Who is it suitable for?
Senior managers, teachers, TAs / LSAs in primary, secondary, and post 16 education who teach or support individuals with literacy may benefit from this training.
It may be of particular interest to those who work with younger learners or a broad age range.
Note: for those who are supporting only older higher level or older learners (secondary or 16+), the eLearning module Practical Solutions for Higher Level Literacy Skills may be more appropriate.
Learning Aims for the in-person training session
- To explore the skills demonstrated by skilled readers
- To increase understanding of the reading process
- To increase understanding of why dyslexic learners have problems with reading
- To explore the skills required to learn phonics and strategies for supporting dyslexic learners
- To consider the difficulties involved in reading single words in the English language, from common irregulars to multi-syllabic vocabulary
- To explore the role of syllabification, morphology, chunking, and word derivation in tackling longer words
- To consider ways to encourage children to develop a love of reading
- To build an understanding of difficulties faced by dyslexic learners in reading comprehension
- To explore strategies for supporting reading comprehension
- To raise awareness of the reading skills required by students in HE and consider what support is necessary
- To encourage delegates to take away three key ideas that they will implement in their own setting
Programme Outline for the in-person training session
- What is reading?
- Three models of reading
- Problems for the dyslexic learner
- Understanding and supporting low level reading skills, from phonics to tackling multi-syllabic vocabulary
- Reading for meaning
- Higher level reading skills: understanding and supporting difficulties
- Next steps
Apply for this course
Thursday 12th March 2020
Wednesday 6th May 2020
Tuesday 11th February 2020
Wednesday 20th May 2020
Bespoke onsite training
This course can be delivered at your location often at a significantly reduced cost per person compared to our scheduled open courses.Register your interest