British Dyslexia Association introduces training course for educational professionals supporting people with dyscalculia
Tuesday 18 September 2018
18 September 2018
Today, the British Dyslexia Association (BDA) has announced the introduction of the BDA Level 5 Certificate in Dyscalculia and Maths Learning Difficulties; Support and Intervention. The training is designed for individuals who have a professional interest in dyscalculia in order for them to become informed practitioners and teachers. It can be undertaken full or part-time.
The content includes:
- Theories behind dyscalculia and maths learning difficulties.
- The principles of specialist teaching.
- Planning and teaching an individualised programme of support.
- Evaluating practice.
Karen Mace, Head of Assessment and Professional Level Training at BDA, said: “We estimate that dyscalculia effects around one in 20 people but understanding, identification and support has traditionally lagged behind dyslexia. The BDA Level 5 Certificate in Dyscalculia and Maths Learning Difficulties is a big step in our ongoing work to increase awareness of dyscalculia and the support available to those identified as has having this specific learning difficulty.
“With a new working definition of dyscalculia recently developed, those training for this certificate will be at the forefront of work in this area. We hope to see many educational professionals with specialisms in other specific learning difficulties take up the opportunity to broaden their knowledge and skills, and ultimately support more people in getting the best out of their education.”
The course is delivered through eLearning modules with a combination of lectures, webinars, videos, articles and interactive activities and provides a flexible way of studying for candidates undertaking the programme.
The qualification is suitable for:
- Teachers and teaching assistants supporting maths in primary, secondary and tertiary settings.
- Tutors and support staff in further education and other adult learning settings.
- Support staff in higher education (this course meets the requirements for DSA support workers, though you will need to be a member of a professional body such as BDA).
- It is also accessible to those who have a desire to improve their skills and knowledge in the area of dyscalculia and maths learning difficulties and display the ability to study at Level 5.
The course is accredited with OCNCredit4Leaning and BDA accreditation for ATS/APS (Dyscalculia) is pending.
For more information please email L5dysc@bdadyslexia.org.uk or ring 0333 405 4565.