Hints and Tips: FE & HE

University Disability Officers offer specialist advice about all aspects of support. Dyslexic students should contact their Disability / Student Support Office as soon as they accept a place. 

1. Disabled Students' Allowances
2. Open University
3. Nursing Students
4. Funding
5. Help with Finding a Job

1. Disabled Students Allowances

In order to access support at Higher Education, a student will need to show an assessment report post 16 years from either a psychologist registered with the Health Care Practitioner Council HCPC, or a specialist dyslexia teacher with an SpLD Diploma in Further/Higher Education and an Assessment Practising Certificate.

Dyslexic students in Higher Education, who have been assessed as dyslexic, can apply to their funder (e.g. Student Finance England, NHS Student Grants Unit) for a DSA. Part time students and post-graduate students are now eligible for this allowance.

The DSA is available for courses lasting at least 1 year at Higher Education registered with Student Finance England where the student is eligible for Student Finance. If you are not eligible for Student Finance, you cannot apply for the DSA. However your university should provide appropriate support.

  • HNC (1 year courses)
  • HND (2 year courses)
  • Foundation Degrees (2 year courses)
  • Certificate of Higher Education
  • Degrees , Masters and PhDs
  • Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training
  • Further Training of Youth & Community Workers

It takes, on average, over 10 weeks from applying for DSAs to receiving support. For the latest information from Student Finance see: http://www.slc.co.uk/stakeholders-partners/latest-news.aspx

Students at Higher Education with dyslexic difficulties can apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance. The application should be supported by a diagnostic assessment report post 16 years from either an Educational Psychologist with a Health Professional Council (HPC) Practising Certificate, or a specialist dyslexia teacher with a Practising Certificate.

If you are eligible for a DSA, you can go to an ACCESS Centre, which can assess the needs of disabled students including ICT.

Provision under the DSA for dyslexia can include once only equipment, such as a PC, hardware and appropriate assistive software, including ICT training; study skills support from a specialist tutor; proof reading, and an annual general allowance for books etc. See Bridging the Gap, below, for full details.

(Return to top)

2. Open University

Disabled Student Services.

Tel: 01908 653 745
Email: disabled-student-resources@open.ac.uk
Web: http://www.open.ac.uk/disability/ou-disability-contacts.php

(Return to top)

3. Nursing Students

The NHS operates separate support for Disabled Students:

Tel: 0845 358 6655.
Web: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/969.aspx

(Return to top)

4. Funding

The Educational Grants Advisory Service (EGAS)

EGAS offers guidance about loans, grants and benefits from educational trusts and charities for disadvantaged students over 16. Send a stamped address envelope or phone for a form for completion, to enable EGAS to give you appropriate advice.

The Educational Grants Advisory Service (EGAS)
501-505 Kingsland Road,
E8 4AU.

Tel: 020 7254 6251. (only taking calls on Wednesday, Thursday 2pm  - 4 pm)
Fax: 020 7249 5443.

Please note that phone line is 

Scholarship Search UK

Academic scholarships and bursaries for UK universities and educational institutions.


(Return to top)

5. Help with Finding a Job

EmployAbility,an organisation providing the essential link for disabled and dyslexic students and graduates to ease the transition from education to employment, giving free guidance and advice on internship and graduate opportunities with top employers, as well as recruitment processes including how to seek disability related adjustments.

(Return to top)