Frequently Asked Questions

Clarification for JCQ and Access Arrangements, November 2016

The B.D.A. wishes to state clearly that holders of an AMBDA certificate are fully qualified to assess a learner and write a report requesting Access Arrangements for that learner in examinations for the JCQ purposes.

AMBDA fully conforms to the requirements for an access arrangements assessor as defined in the first bullet of paragraph 7.3.3 of the 2016-17 JCQ document:

Adjustments for Candidates with Disabilities and Learning Difficulties, Access Arrangements and Reasonable Adjustments

Specialist assessors with a current SpLD Assessment Practising Certificate (APC) also meet the JCQ requirements along with appropriately qualified psychologists registered with the Health and Care Professions Council.

AMBDA and APC courses fulfil the requirement for ‘100 hours relating to individual specialist assessment’, as this refers to the amount of study time overall that relates to assessment. This would include, for example, time spent on lectures, seminars, tutorials, independent study, assessments and completing assessments.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

Those assessing learners and writing reports seeking support under the DSA regulations should hold an Assessment Practising Certificate (APC). Holders of AMBDA are entitled to apply for an APC by Route 1 or Route 1 plus. See:

B.D.A. Professional Membership

The B.D.A. recommends that persons undertaking such duties also have Professional Membership and ensure that they are covered by their employer’s professional indemnity insurance or have sought their own personal policy, as appropriate.


What can I do if I think a pupil may be dyslexic?

The British Dyslexia Association has a list of common indications for different age groups that can be helped to identify whether a child is showing signs of dyslexia. These lists can be found below:

Primary School

Secondary School

It is important to remember that no individual is the same and all of these indicators may not be present in every child with dyslexia.

What can I do to make my classroom more dyslexia friendly?

The British Dyslexia Association recommends a multi-sensory approach to both teaching and learning. More information on this can be found in our book, Dyslexia Friendly Good Schools Practice Guide, or in the free abridged version which can be found here.

Where can I find information on working towards gaining the BDA’s Quality Mark?

Information on the BDA’s Quality Mark Award can be found by visiting the following link.

I only want to teach children with dyslexia, do I need to gain the diploma as well as the certificate?

No, the post-graduate certificate is more than adequate. However should you wish to extend and develop your learning, the diploma is worth considering.

I am interested in becoming an accredited teacher, how do I find out more information on the process?

You can visit the BDA Accreditation section on this website by visiting this link. Alternatively, you can contact our accreditation department on

I want to be on the BDA Tutor List, how do I do this?

If you have active ATS, AMBDA or APC status then you are eligible to go onto our tutor list. You can also go onto our assessors list, even if you registered with another organisation. To be added to either of these lists, please contact

I want to increase dyslexia awareness within the staff at our school. How can you help?

The BDA offers on-site training for groups of eight or more as well as regular dyslexia and dyscalculia awareness courses during the year. For more information on our training courses, please visit this link.

I am interested in finding out about Dyslexia Awareness Week, where can I find information?

Dyslexia Awareness Week is an annual event. Every year we create resource packs that schools can download and use to raise awareness or fundraise for the British Dyslexia Association. For more information, please visit out DAW section.