Calling all Creative Writers and Poets
The British Dyslexia Association (B.D.A.) is inviting all imaginative writers to enter the B.D.A.’s Writer's Competition to write a fictional short story or poem (no more than 500 words in length).
There are three categories for the Writer's Competition:
- Primary - for those aged 3 - 10.
- Secondary - for those aged 11 - 18.
- Adult - for those over 18.
An exhibition showcasing all the entrants will be held during Dyslexia Awareness Week. All entrants and their families will be entitled to attend.
All entries can be returned by arrangement at entrants own expense.
Closing date: 14th September 2013
How to Enter:
To enter the Writer's Competition, send either handwritten stories or poems to:
British Dyslexia Association, Unit 8 Bracknell Beeches, Old Bracknell Lane, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 7BW. Please make sure the envelope is clearly marked for the Writer's Competition.
Alternatively if you wish to email them, please email ideally a pdf or Word 2003 version to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information contact the B.D.A. on 0845 251 9003 or email: email@example.com.
Rules of Entry:
- The story or poem must be created by a dyslexic individual.
- The story/poem should be no more than 500 words.
- All stories/poems must be given a title.
- Only one entry per person - one story/one poem.
- Submissions can be typed or handwritten.
- If typed:
- Use a plain, evenly spaced sans serif font such as Arial and Comic Sans. Alternatives include Verdana, Tahoma, Century Gothic, Trebuchet.
- Font size should be 12-14 point.
- Please email ideally a pdf version or Word 2003 version to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entries must be fictional; we are not looking for stories/poems based on real events or real people.
- Entries must not contain defamatory, obscene, offensive, or any other unsuitable material.
- A parent or guardian will be required to approve the entry and agree to these rules.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party.
- All entries must include the name of writer, postal address, age and contact details including email and phone number.
- Entries must be received by 17th September 2012.
- The B.D.A. is unable to return your writing.
- Entry is free.
- The B.D.A. may reject entries that it considers inappropriate for any reason.
- The story will be judged by a distinguished panel of judges.
- The judges decision is final.
- Photographs of the winners and the stories may be used in the press and on the B.D.A. website.